Chicago Immigration Attorneys
Back to Top
Humanitarian Relief Helping you receive immigration benefits is our top priority.

Humanitarian Relief FAQ

Answers from Compassionate Lawyers in Chicago

If you are seeking protection from an abusive or oppressive situation in your home country or as an immigrant in the U.S., you may qualify for a federal humanitarian relief program. At Vicario Law Group, LLC., we have extensive experience helping clients seek humanitarian relief. We are happy to answer any questions you might have about qualifying for and obtaining benefits.

If you do not see your question answered below, do not hesitate to contact us online or at (312) 698-9066.

What is humanitarian relief?

The U.S. government provides a number of humanitarian relief programs to protect individuals in need of shelter or aid from disasters, oppression, emergency medical issues, and other urgent circumstances.

Some of the most common forms of humanitarian relief include:

  • Asylum
  • Refuge
  • Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • Humanitarian Parole
  • Protection against victims of human trafficking and other crimes

I am a victim of domestic violence. Do I qualify for any immigration benefits?

Yes. As a battered spouse, child, or parent of a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, you may file an immigrant visa petition under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).

How do I qualify for asylum?

To qualify for asylum, you must be in the U.S. and must be seeking protection because you have suffered persecution or fear that you will suffer persecution in your country due to:

  • Race
  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Membership in a particular social group
  • Political opinion

You must apply for asylum within one year of your arrival to the U.S.

Is there any immigration relief available for a victim of a human trafficking?

Yes. Victims of human trafficking are eligible for a T visa. The T visa allows victims to remain in the U.S. to assist in the investigation or prosecution of human traffickers. Once a T visa is granted, a victim may apply for permanent residence after three years.

I was a victim of a crime in the U.S. and have suffered because of it; do I qualify for any immigration benefits?

Yes. The U visa provides immigration protection to victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity. You may apply for a green card after three years of continuous presence in the U.S.

I need to obtain medical treatment in the U.S. but I do not have a visa. What can I do?

You may apply for humanitarian parole. Humanitarian parole is used to bring someone into the U.S. for a temporary period of time due to a compelling emergency, such as for medical treatment.

True Stories from People Just Like You

  • My husband and I are extremely thankful for his services and feel very fortunate to have found him.

    “Going through the immigration process is a very intimidating thing. I could tell that Nestor truly cares about his clients and is very passionate about his job. Nestor is very informative and ...”

    - Ana M.
  • Nestor did a fantastic job helping out with my mom’s immigration case!

    “Nestor did a fantastic job helping out with my mom’s immigration case. He was readily available to answer my questions and very communicative and helpful throughout the entire process. Immigration ...”

    - Laila H.
  • One can immediately tell when someone is passionate and knowledgeable with what they are doing and that someone is Nestor.

    “One can immediately tell when someone is passionate and knowledgeable with what they are doing and that someone is Nestor. Don’t bother giving a fake lecture on your story, he asks specific questions ...”

    - Anubis M.
  • Very Professional

    “I'm happy to say my wife's case was approved with no problems very quickly.”

    - Joel
  • Excellent & Reliable Lawyer

    “Nestor gave my wife (American) and me (German) exactly the confidence and guidance we were looking for. ”

    - Robin & Bo

Contact Us Today! 

Schedule an In-Person Consultation*
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.